ALS Association Oregon & SW Washington
|Position Available:||Development Director - Gifts and Communications|
|Location:||Portland, Oregon office with some remote work flexibility|
|Reports To:||Executive Director|
|Supervise other staff:||Yes|
|Job Status:||Exempt, Full-time|
|Salary:||$85,000 - $90,000|
The ALS Association Oregon and SW Washington Chapter seeks a dynamic full-time fundraiser to join our Portland office to lead our non-event fundraising efforts!
The Development Director - Gifts and Communications role is integral to the fulfillment of our mission to discover treatments and a cure for ALS, and to serve, advocate for, and empower people affected by ALS to live their lives to the fullest.
This position is staffed and supported to raise dollars. The ALS Association Oregon and SW Washington Chapter supports our team with a strong donor base, and professional development. You need to bring your skills in donor development, solicitation, stewardship and donor-base building.
The Development Director - Gifts and Communicationsis a fundraising-focused, goal oriented position responsible for implementing a diversified fundraising and communications plan that supports non-event budgeted revenue of more than $650,000 annually, with goals for growth.
Co-directing the Chapter’s Development Department with the Development Director - Special Events, the two roles raise the comprehensive fundraising budget through their joint fundraising efforts.
The Development Director - Gifts and Communicationsoversees a Development Associate and a Graphic Design and Marketing Coordinator, focusing on expanding revenue and building a community of donors dedicated to The ALS Association mission. Key position growth responsibilities include individual giving pipeline, planned giving portfolio, communications and marketing strategy, and other non-event fundraising initiatives.
This position embraces a relationship-focused approach that establishes meaningful donor contacts and lasting donor loyalty. Successful applicants will excel at working independently in a small shop, and leading a small team, while working with leadership and team members to ensure annual fundraising goals are met.
The ALS Association Oregon and SW Washington Chapter expects applicants will have skills and experience relevant to: planning and budgeting, major gifts development and solicitation, planned giving promotion and cultivation, annual campaigns, donor relations, and foundation stewardship.
· Manage a portfolio of major and mid-level individual donors, including creating moves management plans for current and prospect donors.
· Participate in in-person and virtual visits with current and prospect donors to build relationships and move donors along the donor plan toward cultivation and solicitation.
· Oversee major and mid-level donor acknowledgement processes, including major donor updates, thank you calls and letters, and other acknowledgement vehicles.
· Utilize WealthEngine and the current donor database, run reports to identify new prospect major donors.
· Plan and host at least one Major Donor Stewardship event each year.
· Oversee all aspects of annual appeals
· Manage a portfolio of current and prospect Legacy Society members.
· Participate in in-person and virtual visits with current and prospect Legacy Society members to build relationships and move prospects along their moves management plan toward cultivation and solicitation.
· Develop and maintain Planned Giving marketing materials for print and web in conjunction with the Graphic Design and Marketing Coordinator.
· Lead the estate settlement process for all executed planned gifts.
· Oversee the current grants calendar and identify new prospect Foundations to solicit.
· Supervise the Development Associate in developing LOIs, proposals, and applications for current and prospect Foundation funders.
· Supervise the Development Associate in developing follow-up reports for all current Foundation funders.
· Oversee grant research to identify new prospect Foundations and continue to grow Foundation revenue.
Communications & Marketing:
· Create and execute the Communications and Marketing strategy for the Chapter, collaborating with the Graphic Design and Marketing Coordinator and Development Associate
· Manage and lead all content creation surrounding mission-focused publications for social media, digital ad campaigns, emails, and direct mail.
· Lead the content strategy for web and print, including newsletters, the annual report, and landing pages.
· Become an expert on the voice of the Chapter and its brand guidelines, both for print and digital communications.
· Serve as a virtual or in-person spokesperson for the Chapter, where necessary.
· Partner with the Director of Special Events to identify major donors and planned giving prospects and execute collaborative moves management plans for donors who give both to events and annual fund.
· Collaborate with the Care Services Director and other program staff to stay connected with the mission and program services for donor updates, foundation reports, mission-based communications, and other initiatives.
· Own other non-event fundraising initiatives, not limited to employee giving, Charitable Checkoff, and memorial gifts.
· Oversee the budgeting and all planning for the Stewardship Department.
· Responsible for all aspects of donor research, solicitation, and gift processing.
· Attend Board Meetings, create board reports, and build relationships with Board Members to increase individual giving revenue.
· Other duties as assigned.
Position Skills and Requirements:
· A minimum of 5 years professional experience and proven track record in managing major donor stewardship activities in a non-profit environment.
· Bachelor's degree (BA or BS) from four-year College or University.
· Proven track record in successfully solicitations and closing gifts.
· Experience in donor research, wealth screening, donor analytics and moves management concepts.
· Strong communication skills, including clear and effective written communication.
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a strong commitment to The Chapter’s mission.
· Ability to network and build relationships with a variety of audiences.
· Ability to attend events and staff meetings, as well as board meetings, annual planning sessions and National Leadership meetings as requested.
· Flexibility to travel and fly, when needed, for work purposes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and database management software.
· Exceptional organizational skills.
· Professional attitude and appearance.
· Ability to lead by example and collaborate with the immediate team and the Chapter as a whole.
· Ability to adapt quickly, reshuffle work priorities and still meet deadlines.
· Ability to manage difficult or complex situations, projects and/or people with tact, confidence and diplomacy.
· Ability to learn new processes and procedures.
· Ability to take initiative and remain self-motivated.
· Ability to problem solve and plan strategically.
· Able to operate a computer, software, technology and other business equipment.
· Able to walk, climb stairs and lift 25 pounds or more.
· Able to use own vehicle for work travel.
How to Apply:
The ALS Association Oregon and SW Washington Chapter is working with Nonprofit Professionals Now to recruit for this key position. To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter and complete screening questions online here. https://wvdo-or.hiringthing.com/job/317877/development-director-gifts-and-communications
Application Deadline: Monday, October 11th.
The ALS Association Oregon and SW Washington Chapter is an equal opportunity employer and believes that each team member makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities outlined in a job description. Therefore, this job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each team member will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
Preferred Years Of Experience:5 Year(s)
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :